Today I will cover some additional backup strategies that I have used in the past.
Best practices regarding backups:
- Store them encrypted! This is very important as your backups contain all your data and sensitive files and you don’t want it to fall into the wrong hands and open yourself up to identity theft right?
- Sanitize and/or destroy your backups before discarding them.
- Verify the file contents and integrity of the backups so that you know it is retrievable.
Where to keep your backups:
- Same physical location – But if you want to have a contingency plan for fire, theft, or other related scenarios, then you probably want to store them in one of the following areas as well.
- Separate physical location – Trusted family member, friend, safe deposit box, etc.
- Online – Trusted cloud provider, self hosted NAS, etc